Answer the following questions, then tally your results at the end to see if you’re cut out for the wild world of cake decorating!
1. Do you enjoy deadlines and working in the kitchen until three in the morning while wrestling uncooperative hunks of fondant?
C. Oh please yes, that sounds like fun!
2. Do you believe people when they tell you that your latest sheet cake is “so beautiful” and that you “really should go into business” even when they’re the cheapest people in the world and would never buy anything from you?
C. Of course I believe them! My friends and family would be the best customers ever!
3. Do you have a strong desire to spend all of your extra money (and some of your household budget when your spouse isn’t looking) on spatulas and food colorings?
C. Did someone say they got a good deal on persimmon extract? Tell me where, that sounds like it might be useful for something someday.
4. Do you have three or four hours per day to devote to online cake chat groups and randomly surfing Pinterest to look at pictures of cakes?
C. I can do that in my spare time, or when I should be sleeping. People don’t really need more than 4 hours a night anyway.
5. Would you enjoy giving up weekends to handle final decorating details and cake deliveries when everyone in your family is either lying on the couch watching tv or sleeping late because they know what “a day off” means?
C. Sure, and I wouldn’t even mind it when my spouse parades around talking about how great it is to not have any work to do!
Tally up your scores and check your results:
If you have mostly A’s, you’re obviously not cut out for cake decorating. Go find a job doing something sensible instead.
If you have mostly B’s, you might be ready to start cake decorating, but you’d better toughen up a little first.
If you have mostly C’s. you’re a perfect combination of optimist and masochist, and you would be a great cake decorator! Now go spend your grocery money on that fancy new mixer they have on sale at Williams-Sonoma this week, think of the money you’ll be saving!